Written by Jennifer Gilpin Yacio
Illustrated by Lynda Farrington Wilson
Introduction by Dr. Temple Grandin
I highly recommend this picture book to people of all ages. I believe it will be appreciated by the neurologically diverse population as well as NTs (neurotypicals).
The author takes us through Temple Grandin’s seven simple rules that she attributes her own success to, alternating clearly between the narrator’s voice and quotes from Dr. Grandin herself.
The seven rules are, indeed, simple:
1. Follow your passion. (Whatever it is!)
2. Live life. (Get outside and away from video games and screens.)
3. Be yourself, but you have to fit in a little. (This is true for all of us!)
4. Develop your talents. (Practice and hone your skills.)
5. Perfect is not possible. (Every mistake is a chance to learn.)
6. Work hard. (Work harder to get closer to your goals.)
7. Never stop learning. (True for everyone!)
Read the whole book for Temple’s insights into each of these rules. I think you will enjoy this delightfully illustrated book, and the opportunity to both visualize and hear Temple’s own words of wisdom for us all.